3.25.2014

Buying with Intention: FashionABLE Scarf



Etanesh Stripes Scarf in Ivory + Coral, from livefashionABLE.com

The calendar tells me its Spring, but it seems Winnipeg didn't get that message. We're still surrounded by snow and ice, and other depressing things. But let's not get it that right now. Instead, let's talk about something pretty, shall we?

Like this scarf from fashionABLE, a North American based company committed to fighting poverty by creating sustainable business in Africa. Their primary focus is on creating opportunities for vulnerable women. They work with women in Africa to help them start small business cooperatives, and they partner with and require manufacturers to employ women with fair wages, and fair hiring practices.

They sell these beautiful scarves that are handmade by artisans in Ethiopia. Each one is named after a women that fashionABLE works with, and comes with a short, handwritten note about the woman's story. Jenna at Eat Live Run introduced me to this amazing company last year, and I've already made a few purchases (one for myself, and a couple to give away as gifts). I love the quality, and that they're handmade out of 100% cotton. But most of all, I love that these scarves don't just look good, they also do a lot of good.

You can shop fashionABLE's entire line of handmade scarves here.

2 comments:

  1. I love this scarf and it's cause. I think I might purchase the blue Alem!!!!! Thanks for the intro and I do hope all is well with you Amy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like the scarf, Tracey! And, blue...such a great choice for you. It's your colour!

      Delete

I love hearing from you.