4.06.2014

Be Like Salt



Somedays I am overwhelmed by all the bad in this world. Aren't you?

I don't make a habit of dwelling on disaster and disease, but in the age of social media where everyone's updating everything, all the time, it's virtually impossible to ignore. This is good, to some extent. I don't want to pretend like nothing's happening, just because it feels good to forget. I want to help. Do something. Make a difference. Anyone with me?

But, where do we even start?

This morning I was reminded that the small, ordinary, hum drum parts of our day can really make a difference. Even when we think we're just going through the motions, checking off that old to-do list, we may be impacting someone's day or life. We don't need to be celebrities, or politicians, or professional athletes. We can be influential in the every day. Salt for the Earth: preserving the world around us with kindness, encouragement, generosity and love.


---
"You are the salt of the earth..."  - Matthew 5:13 (NLT)

8 comments:

  1. Love this and thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading (and commenting) Tracey. I love this analogy. It's so fitting.

      Delete
  2. I love this post
    It is true we can't solve the problems in the world but we can make our little corner a brighter place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jackie! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm all about shining some light. Even a small light can make a difference in the dark.

      Delete
  3. So true Amy. I guess it all starts with being aware, being present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Santa. It's easy to get caught up in the busyness of life, isn't it? So busy that we miss opportunities to help and encourage others. These little reminders are always so helpful for me.

      Delete
  4. I've been there...I want to being DOING something that helps others, something good. I try to be a good mother-wife-neighbour, a good blogger even...and hope that small things are enough. You know if everyone did the small things...WOW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a good point, Shannon. If we all did something small, together we could really make an impact.

      Delete

I love hearing from you.